Zach Lesage Late Night #65 - 6th Place

 



Placed 6th/265 at Zach Lesage's Late Night #65 event with Regis. I didn't change much from my previous build (which you can find here), only cutting a 3rd Pokestop and 3rd Trekking Shoes for a Lost Vacuum and 3rd Ultra Ball.

The Ultra Ball is for an extra Pokemon search and energy discard option, which I thought the deck was lacking after the performance in the September Limitless tournament. The Lost Vacuum can be attributed to the rise of Goodra as of late and various weird tools that give Regi a hard time, like Big Parasol and Big Charm. I cut a Pokestop for it because Lost Vacuum can also bump problematic stadiums like Collapsed Stadium, Temple of Sinnoh, and Lost City, and also cut the opponent off from use of your Pokestop once you don't need it anymore.

While some think Regis is mediocre without access to Gift Energy, I believe the deck is still more than viable in the current meta. In all my games except a few against Mew, I elected to go second, which rewarded me most of the time as I was able to use a supporter on my first turn and occasionally pull off powerful Turn 1 attacks that put me in a good position for the rest of the game. I built this list around the idea of prioritizing Pokemon and energy search along with a myriad of discard options to give the deck extra power early game as opposed to the Gift Energy variants that offer better recovery later on. While I would love to try a Gift Energy build, the card is currently bugged on PTCGO at the moment so for now I'm trying to push the deck as far as it can go while still teching for relevant threats.

As for the tournament itself, I hit favorable matchups and got good use out of every card in the deck, I don't think a single slot was wasted. All of my losses were to Mew, except in round 8 vs Giratina, which I heavily bricked. What was once a heavily favored matchup for Regis became much harder due to Lost City, which every Mew I ran into today ran as a 2-of. Mew currently doesn't hold as much meta share as it once did, but it's still a well-performing deck that is expected to stay relevant through the Silver Tempest format, so the inclusion of a 3rd Regigigas may be warranted to help swing the matchup back into Regis' favor. The 3rd Regigigas isn't needed for Regis' other matchups however, so I'll still be exploring other options.

When Gift Energy gets fixed, I expect there to be much more Regis in the meta, so the techs in this list might need to be reevaluated, and teching for the mirror may be necessary as well. We'll see how the deck fares at the Special Event in Lillie this coming Saturday.

(For more info about the Late Night series and other events, click here)






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Big Fat 2023-2024 Season Recap Post

Toronto Regionals 2022 - 246th Place

TCGONE 2004 Tournament Report 5/29/21 - 2nd Place